Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: I need a amp (Observations from a new guy)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: I need a amp (Observations from a new guy)

    I assume as much.

    Good to know, thanks, wasn't aware of this 'defect'.

    Dunno, never bothered to learn much about amp design beyond what to look for spec-wise that's likely to meet my performance goals.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I need a amp (Observations from a new guy)

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I'm reasonably sure that the 2100 is electronically an identical amplifier less meters and a fancy faceplate.
    I think that is the case, yes.

    The 604 can sound very nice indeed. Crossover is important, for sure. The 604 or 605 and even be mated up nicely with an OB woofer, with a little effort.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I need a amp (Observations from a new guy)

    I'd just like to add a comment about amp selection.

    I have have both a pair of 604-8III's in 9cuft BB cabs and a A-5 with 803 horns.

    I listen to mostly Jazz and Rock no Classical or large orchestral pieces. I listen at low to moderately loud levels. My needs for Altec sound is geared toward in home HiFi sound reproduction.

    My amps are all DIY low powered tube builds. I really enjoy what Altec brings to the table for this .


    Have fun!
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  4. #4
    Inactive Member geezerrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I need a amp (Observations from a new guy)

    Hi DrummerWill, What kind of DIY stuff do you have ? I can't tell by looking at the thumb-nail. Like I said in a earlier post, I first heard the 604-8h11's at a friend of a friends home and he was running BottleHead gear in front of his speakers to great effect. I have never done anything more advanced than soldering in caps, inductors, and resistors for x-over's, so I am a little afraid of a complete amp build. Also I have read quite a few posts on other sites where these kit builders were always fighting noise issues (ie. hum). I have recently looked into Ming Da gear from Pacific Valve. Mr. Baker from Response Audio recommends this brand without hesitation as it is a good performer in stock form, but has huge upside with proper modding. From everything that I have read, his reputation in the Modding community is beyond reproach with many satisfied customers. I personally Have never had him work on anything, but I have taken leaps of faith in the past (hell I'm married). Another manufacturer I was looking at was Mcalister Audio out of Canada however, I do not know much about them. Take care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.